Chicken Karahi Recipe
This delicious concoction of meat and spices is a favourite across the subcontinent.
Surprisingly quick and easy to make, Chicken Karahi is a staple at every gathering, be it a simple or extravagant affair. Check out this recipe for homemade Chicken Karahi. I guarantee it will be a treat to your taste buds!
Chicken 1 kg
Cumin seeds (zeera) ½ to ¾ tsp
Handful of green chillies (slit with seeds removed)
Red chilli powder
Salt (to taste)
Ginger (sliced into 1 ½ inch long pieces)
Oil ¼ cup
• Heat some oil and the flame when done.
• Add the cumin seeds and ginger and fry.
• Place back on the stove and add chicken and half of the tomatoes.
• Cook over low heat until the gravy becomes dry and the chicken is tender.
• Add the green chillies and remaining tomatoes.
• In a separate pan, prepare the bhagaar by heating oil and frying some cumin seeds in it at low heat.
• Garnish with coriander leaves and limes.
• Boil the chicken with garlic and ginger then fry in a little oil. Add the tomatoes and allow the mixture to cook before removing it from the pan.
• Fry the green chillies and cumin seeds with some red chilli powder and salt.
• Pour this mixture over the chicken and continue frying for some time.
• Serve with lemon.
Published in The Express Tribune, Ms T, June 2nd, 2013.